Thursday, August 13, 2009

A post in which I get my back cracked

I have to admit I was fairly trepidatious about going to the chiropractor today. I had an hour of therapeutic massage before I saw the doctor, to loosen the muscles up enough so they could do an adjustment. I expected that to be a long hour, frankly. I like being massaged, but couldn’t imagine a whole hour of it. The masseuse was a tiny little blond girl, who frankly looked like the last vapid college frat girl, but I was mistaken in my first impression. She was very strong, older than I thought, and reads. Once we started talking I really liked her – she was very nice. The hour went by much more quickly than I could have imagined.

The doctor showed me the x-rays of my spine and neck. Apparently I have some arthritis in my neck, which is why it is stiff all the time. Dr. Lawson says that the massage therapy will help that, but because of calcium deposits, he can’t adjust my neck. Next he explained what he was going to do to my back, and how it would work. He did four different adjustments, but the key one, on the vertebra that is giving me problems, didn’t work. The others on surrounding ones did, and popped alarmingly. I did feel better, but that one place is still sore. I’m going back next Wednesday. I won’t say I’m a believer yet, but I did really feel better when I left the office. I noticed during the afternoon that my back actually feels straighter, although I guess that could be just in my mind. But I felt more loose and comfortable than I have in a while, and thanks to the massage, I can look further to the left than I have been able to in some time.

After work, I decided I wanted Chinese buffet. I had called Anna, because I was going to hi-jack her and take her to see GI Joe. It’s supposed to be really awful, but I’m kind of in the mood to watch things blow up. I still want to see Julie & Julia though. She turned me down. She has been very depressed, and missed her grandfather’s birthday party last weekend, so she was going to see him tonight.

I went to eat nasty Chinese buffet anyway at Ni Hao. I have eaten too much this week. I have to start cutting back severely and exercising again or I’ll start putting more weight back on. Sigh. But it was goooooood tonight.

I got home and decided to go on to bed. I’ve been up late the last two nights, and I’m exhausted. I was getting ready to lie down when Russ called. I was supposed to have my hair cut tonight, and completely forgot it. Dammit! And it really needs to be cut too. All I could do was apologize profusely. He’s going to work me in for next week. Until then, I have to suffer with the Big Hair.

I finally put in Persuasion tonight. The movie version, I think, assumes that you have read the book. I suppose I should have, but I haven’t. I found the movie fairly hard to follow, but I can tell I’ll like it a lot once I figure out what’s going on. Maybe I should pick up a copy of the book…

No comments: