Saturday, January 26, 2013

A post in which Rhondee and I take a field trip**

I got up this morning and logged on.  Everyone was just kind of chatting around, because we had been told that the roads would be bad this morning.  Then Chuck signed on.  He wanted to come over.  When I pointed out that driving was supposed to be hazardous, he pointed out that he was, after all, a man.  I explained that his manliness didn't give him super powers over ice.  He disagreed and asked what kind of biscuit I wanted.  Realizing that I was a) getting nowhere with him; and b) basically being derided as a wussy for being concerned, I told him egg and cheese, that I would make coffee, and asked him to please be careful.

He came in full of hubris, with biscuits, and told me that the roads were fine.  So we ate and had coffee (he was skeptical of the french press, but later told me that the coffee was really good) and visited for a bit, and I sent him on his way.

I got in touch with Rhonda and went to pick her up.  We did some shopping.  We went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond to get Tony some spoons (long story), and to a women's store to look at clothes for Rhonda.  She found a couple of things and got a good deal on them to boot. A fellow customer just kind of took up with us and helped us shop.  Rhonda insisted on treating me to lunch.  Since we were already right there, we ate at  Tablefields.  I had never eaten there, but it is modeled rather after an upscale deli.  It looked expensive, but the food prices were pretty much in line with other places.  When we got the bill though, we saw that we had been charged $2.99 each for tea!  Craziness.  Still, when we went to get the tea (it was self serve) there was a citrus tea on offer that was fantastic.  I would pay $2.99 for that.  The food, though, was good, but not really noteworthy.  But that tea was slammin'.  I would get that again. 

Rhonda had found the Happy Cow Creamery online this week as part of her investigations into local foods.  We had talked about going down there today, but I hadn't known if we would be able to because of the roads.  Since the roads were fine, though, I got in touch we decided to check it out.  I picked her up, and what with chatting and catching up, it just seemed to take no time to get there.  When we pulled up, you could see the cows.  The day had turned off pretty, and there were a lot of people there, which became a bit of an issue, because the store at the creamery, while stocking an amazing variety of things, was pretty small.  Still we navigated our way through and bought a good bit of stuff.  Chuck had told me that the chocolate milk was really good, so I got a half gallon of that, along with butter cheese (which I assume is butterkase), hoop cheese (or rat cheese to old-timers), purple sweet potatoes (eat the rainbow), a head of cabbage, and a bag of Rome Beauty apples (my default apple). 

On the way out, we saw a country store open (the people were operating it out of a very crowded old house which I really hope they weren't trying to live in), and stopped for a nose 'round.  We didn't buy anything, but we did see the animals they had - dogs, cats, goats, and llamas, including a baby llama.

We made our way back to town, and I dropped Rhonda off.

I went home with the intention of maybe starting to cook.  I had plenty to do.  But I was sleepy.  I fell into the internet vortex and became one with the sofa.  I never did get the nap, but started chatting to a guy I've been talking to for a week or so named Anthony.  He is really cute, but because of one thing and another we hadn't met.  Although I thought he was going to stand me up, he did end up showing up tonight.  He was keen to visit, but made it clear that I was just a booty call - he had plans with friends for after he left my place.  Alrighty then.  He was just as cute in person, but due to technical difficulties, the visit didn't last very long.  He went on.  But he said he would like to come back, and I certainly wouldn't mind that. Things could have gone worse.  They certainly have. 

I was sleepy, but it was too early to go to bed.  I didn't really have any place to go, but wasn't ready to go to bed.  I watched telly and played on the computer.  I caught an advance run of the new season or RuPaul's Drag Race online (the new season looks like it will be great).  Eventually, I turned on in. 

No comments: