Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A post in which I am naughty

I slogged back to work through the drip.  Again.  Sigh.  I have decided that I will personally water-board the next climate dude who starts talking about how we are in a 'drought' as my freakin underwear mildews.  I went to work the long way through town, because I'm afraid to get on the freeway when it rains.  South Carolinians just cannot handle water coming from the sky in any form, and there is invariably a wreck.  Since traffic will be interminably backed up anyway, I can't see taking the risk. 

I emailed Brian about the BS from last night, because he just didn't seem to understand what I was trying to tell him.  Initially he responded, but then went quiet and stopped returning email, so I guess I hurt his feelings.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow if he doesn't show up.  But then he already declined to attend tomorrow night's dinner, so I don't know how I'll know.

I started write-offs today, and immediately fell into one of those stupid retail accounts where the jack-ass has run up a $20k+ bill, $15-$50 at a time, then stopped paying.  So there are literally hundreds of invoices to go through one by one to take out the Canadian taxes.  Grrrr.  I had just pulled the invoices when the clock hit 6pm, and I thought screw it, it'll be here tomorrow

So the one thing I knew I shouldn't do on the way home was spend any money.  But I really didn't want peanut spread crackers for dinner tonight.  There was frozen spaghetti, but that was yukky.  I had to stop and fill up with gas, and thought about what I would eat.  What I really wanted was more chicken.  I know.  I go through phases where the cravings are worse. 

I gave myself a stern lecture, but my will-power was weak.  Last week I could use being sick as an excuse, but tonight I was just plain hungry.  But none of the wings around here are really that good.  The ones I like come from Church's, but I don't really want to eat at Church's.  The atmosphere leaves a lot to be desired, plus there is that big glass window that gives on the whole dining area - anyone could see me.  When I eat meat now, it is a private, if not shameful thing.  But I had to go by Ryan's on the way home anyway (well, I did if I went that way, anyway).  They make good little drummettes, but the last time I was there, they didn't have any on the bar.  So I made a deal with myself.  I would go to Ryan's for supper, and if there were drummettes then I would eat some, and if not, well, I wouldn't.  I also resolved to eat other things first, so I wouldn't eat just chicken wings. 

When I got there, I paid $13 (!!) to eat.  For that, I could have eaten in a real restaurant.  There were no drummettes.  There were fried chicken wings on the bar though.  My inner sleazeball attorney claimed that was the same thing.  But first, I would eat a salad.  After salad, I saw that they had spaghetti with marinara on the bar - that was new, and I had been craving spaghetti.  But I couldn't find the bowls.  I looked and there were fried fish fingers and popcorn shrimp, right there beside the chicken.  I decided that was indulgent enough, and made a plate of that instead.  Eventually, I found the bowls and had a small bowl of spaghetti also.  By the time I had dessert, I had eaten too much, and didn't even want chicken wings.  So although I was naughty (I spent money, I ate fried food, and I ate too much), I wasn't as bad as I could have been, which I guess counts for something. 

When I got home, I changed, washed the dishes, and collapsed onto the sofa like the over-bloated slug I was.  I played way too long on the computer tonight. 

No comments: