Monday, January 14, 2013

A post in which I am sick. Again/still

I woke up this morning feeling like hammered shit.  I was just as tired as when I went to bed.  I had a chinstrap of pain running from ear to ear, including my throat.  My head ached.  Last night I had been trying to decide if I would go back to the doctor or not.  This morning the decision was made.  I called in to work, croaking into the phone like I had eaten a box of staples.

The first appointment they had available today was at 11am, so I made a mug of hot chocolate and snoozed until time to get up and get ready.

The doctor was flummoxed.  "Your throat is beet-red."  She observed.  No shit, I thought grumpily to myself.  She eventually decided to prescribe something, for which I was heartily glad.  Let's try doing something besides nothing this time, I was thinking.  I didn't really have enough voice to be thoroughly objectionable, but I certainly felt that way.  She also prescribed some good cough syrup, which mollified me somewhat.  That was worth the ride over there.

Then I made my complicated way home.  They had called in my prescription for antibiotics to my home pharmacy, but I also needed toilet paper, and I had six extra bucks to use.  I knew from last week that my home pharmacy didn't have the kind of TP I wanted, so I went to the local pharmacy to get the cough syrup filled (you have to carry in the prescription for that), and to pick up the TP.  Since there are apparently eight million sick people in Greenville county at the mo, the place was jumpin'.  I ended up being in there for almost an hour getting the cough syrup. 

I had intended to go out for something to eat since I was poorly, but didn't have the energy for it.  I headed home, deciding to get some takeout after I picked up my antibiotic.  Then I thought I would just get something to eat at the home pharmacy to keep from having to make another stop.  I was wiped.

When I got to the home pharmacy though, it was just as full as the other one, PLUS since it was in my neighborhood, there were an inordinate number of crack hos and stupid people milling around the pharmacy in a completely random fashion.  Where they actually in line?  Were they waiting for prescriptions to be filled?  Who the hell knew?  I didn't have the patience to deal with it today.  I went outside to sit in line at the drive-through window.  At least that way I at least knew where the freakin' line was, and I knew the only germs in the chair were my own.  Plus I could sit down in line, and read my book.  So that's what I did.  When I got to the window, they had unexpectedly already filled the prescription (it was a Christmas miracle), and I was finished up in record time.  Thankfully.

I still needed to eat something.  And I didn't want the healthy broccoli and lentil curry that was in the fridge.  I just didn't.  I first thought I would just go through the Burger King drive through.  But the closer I got, the nastier that seemed.  Plus what I really wanted was lo mien.  Then I remembered that they always make me pull to the side to wait at Burger King, because they never have a fish sandwich ready.  If I'm going to wait anyway, I thought, why not wait for what I want?  To that end, I headed for Number 1 China.  Although they have pretty good food, I really don't like to think about where it comes from.  The place always looks vaguely grimy, and it depresses me to sit there and wait for my food.  But I did it. 

I got home, kicked off my sweatpants (they had been on the seat there, and I wanted to wash them), and sat down to eat in front of telly, profoundly grateful to be home.  After lunch, I took my pills and cough syrup, and slept most of the afternoon.  When I woke up, I felt pretty close to human.  Thank God!

Of course, this meant that the last four days of suffering had been completely unnecessary.  I may change doctors again. Debbie (my long-standing nurse with Dr. Edwards) told me if I switched to her new doctor, I could have her as a nurse again.  Since that was one of the main reasons I was staying with Dr. Edwards, that's enough of a reason at this point.

I sent some texts to my guys to let them know I was feeling better, ran to Burger King (after all) for a nasty supper (I always crave junk when I'm sick, and I haven't been as bad as usual up until tonight), then took my pills and some cough syrup, and turned in. 

No comments: