Thursday, January 24, 2013

A post in which it is dinner night

Work was going well today until my denial came crashing down around me.  I found out that the deadline for the second part of the project from hell is the end of the month.  I just emailed the coordinator and told her I wouldn't be able to meet it.  Sigh.  I thought I had longer.  Plus I really keep thinking that sanity will re-assert itself.  Not that I have any precedent for this belief.  There was nothing to do but tuck in, suck it up, and work on it this afternoon.  So I did.

They're calling for freezing rain tomorrow, which is the particular nerve-eating province of South Carolina bad weather.  The power lines all ice up, everyone loses power, no one can go anywhere - plus it isn't even pretty.  Of course all the usual idiots are all excited, and posting stupid blurbs on Facebook about it.  People can be so incredibly short-sighted.

When I left work though, I headed to the grocery store to buy PopTarts.  Just in case.  I've been craving them lately, and talked myself out of buying them the other night, but I just know if I get iced in I'm going to be dying for them, and I don't want to have to go out into the icy muck to get them.  While I was there I got some pecan twirls and some swiss cake rolls.  You know, just to be on the safe side.  Since I have bread in the freezer and 3/4 gallon of milk in the fridge already, I have the required Southern staples already.

When I got to RBL's to change, I found Russ, supine in misery with a migraine.  Bless his heart.  I changed quietly and waited for Logan to come in from his run, at which point we put the SD card in my phone and started fooling around with it.  Billy came in and showed me some things, and I started making some pictures. 

Tonight was dinner night out for the guys.  Apparently the posts each Thursday about the dinners have rankled some of the bears (they were posting pics to the SCBears page, and these dinners are not SCBears functions), which I can understand.  So today Lee set up a 'secret' group for posts about the Thursday night dinners to hopefully avoid hurting feelings if possible.  There's just always drama.

Tonight's dinner was at Southern Culture.  After reading about it on Facebook, and looking at the menu online, I was pretty stoked.  The menu sounded great.  I was less enthused about the possibility of a live band while we ate.  I don't know why straight people just freakin' live for a live band to perform at ear-shattering decibel levels while they eat, but they LOVE it.  I can only assume this is because it drowns out their uninteresting conversation.  I was quite relieved to find the quite large stage in the dining room empty on our arrival. 

We settled in and ordered, and waited.  My salad came out wrong.  I sent it back.  The main reason I wanted a salad was because of the unusual dressing flavors on offer, which just sounded delicious and exotic.  Tonight I tried the Dill Pickle Vinaigrette.  It was good.  Not thrilling, but good.  But the salad was under-dressed (the waiter, who didn't bring my corrected salad, was nowhere to be seen, so no chance of getting more dressing) and wet.  The advertised corn bread croutons were kind of stale (and met with universal disapproval at the table - some of the guys thought they were terrible, and even picked them off their salads - I just thought they not the best), but I was hungry and ate the salad.  The entrees came out sporadically.  Four came out first.  Then two.  Then after a good bit the last two. 

I ordered the black bean burger, which was exactly how it was described - a big cake of mushed up black beans on a bun.  It needed something.  The presentation of the food was very cute.  I had ordered tater tots as a side, and they came in a Chinese take-away carton with chopsticks.  Adorable.  But no ketchup to go with them!  I finally flagged down the waiter to ask, and he brought me one those fancy restaurant ramekins of ketchup, which of course wasn't enough, and I never saw him again to get more until I was through eating. Never mind wanting some to go on my bean burger. 

Having finished eating, and then gotten more tea, I excused myself.  When I got back, the guys had ordered dessert.  The desserts were advertised as "Mason jar parfaits" - cute enough.  We had two orders of nanner puddin' come out.  Again, it looked good.  The first bite was good.  Then the second bite my mouth said wait a minute.  The pudding had been thickened with flour, and tasted of raw flour.  Plus there were maybe four pieces of banana in the whole jar.  It was distinctly odd-tasting.  Real banana pudding is thickened with egg, of course.  Billy and I took a couple of bites before we stopped, but in fairness Logan loved it.  So credit where credit is due - they made it there, and it was homemade.  It just wasn't made the right way. 

In the end, I paid $17 for a bean sandwich and tater tots without enough ketchup.  I was underwhelmed.  The tater tots were the best thing I ate, and I could have gotten those at the grocery store cheaper, and had all the ketchup I wanted.  Lee said his was OK, and Joel said his roasted chicken was good.  Logan and Billy were kind of where I was - it was fine.  It was edible.  But it wasn't impressive.  I thought mine was over-priced.  We'll have to eat there again so Russ can go, but I have no time set to go back.

I had a great seat tonight.  Logan on one side, Joel on the other, and Lee across from me.  So purty all around, but it was one of those "water, water, everywhere, and not a drop to drink" kind of situations.  Logan's married, Joel's out of my league, and Lee isn't interested, although he is eat up with purty, and covered in soft fur.  It was nice to see everyone, but it's frustrating too. 

To add insult to injury, I listened to Joel telling me about his progression from regular shmoe into beautiful gay boy, complete with details about how happy he was when he lost the unattractive 'lines' he didn't like on his abdomen, which had been marring his otherwise beautiful body. Sigh.  And there I sat.  Round.  He's a nice guy, and didn't mean to be unkind.

It was not a good night to unload swiss cake rolls and pop tarts from the car when I got home.  I was pretty disgusted when I looked at myself in the mirror.  I have to do something.  Usually I feel pretty good about the way I look, considering my age and what I've been through.  But there's nothing like spending the evening at a table of beautiful men, not one of whom would have you on a bet, to bring reality crashing back down. So that was the second denial I had collapse today.

By the time we got out, it was time for me to head home and turn in; so I did.

No comments: