Saturday, January 19, 2013

A post in which I'm out with Rhonda*

I had planned to take Rhonda to the farmer's market this morning.  I had told her I would be there around 9am, but decided to call first to be sure she was up - good thing :)

I headed her way and we caught up while she got ready and we rode over to the farmer's market.  Although I hadn't known for sure whether they were open year-round, they were open, and although there wasn't tons of stuff on offer, they were surprisingly well stocked.  We found Honeycrisp apples at a really good price (about half the price they are at the grocery store), and I got snap beans from Florida and white sweet potatoes.  I was also surprised that there was a good selection of local cheese, including aged cheddar up to eight years old.  It wasn't cheap, but there was any variety I would usually use (plus or minus a few), and it was still cheaper than the Amish cheese I bought in Greer.  I didn't get any of that today, but I made note of it.

After the market, we went to Stax Omega for breakfast.  Their omelets are truly incomparable.  I would have kept her for the day, but her friend Rita was on her way from Georgia, so I dropped Rhonda at the house and headed home. 

I wanted a nap, so I took one.  I fell into the internet vortex for a while and had a buddy come over for what was ultimately a rather unsatisfying visit.  I snapped my beans.

I had been hoping to hear from the boys today.  I had let them know on Thursday that I was free all weekend, and would like to see them, but not a peep had I heard.  I thought, well, it's not like I need to spend any more money, right?  I was out last night and again this morning, so it's not like I've been by myself all weekend.  If they wanted to see me they would have called, right?

Eventually I sent a text to see what they were up to.  It turns out they were having game night tonight and fixing veggie spaghetti.  I found out about this at ten until 6pm on a Saturday night.  Why hadn't I been invited?  After wondering about it, I just ran through the shower and headed on over.  The important thing, I told myself, was that I had been invited now

When I got there, Jake, Bill, John, Brantley, and Joel were there.  They made casual mention that a bunch of Logan's friends had been invited too, but hadn't shown up.  So apparently everyone in Greenville County had been invited except me.  I try not to be this guy, but my feelings were hurt a little.  I sucked it up, and was quiet for a while, but as the evening went on, I just laid that down and participated.

We played a game tonight called The Village.  It's a werewolf game they had been playing at the bear party the other weekend.  It didn't look like a lot of fun to me, so I hadn't played then, but I thought, well, maybe that's why they didn't invite you to game night, you old stick in the mud.  Generally, I am more into conversation than organized activities at a social function (plus, for some reason since treatment, it's harder for me to concentrate and/or settle in to a game of any kind - even cards, which I used to love), but when in Rome.  I played, and it was kind of fun, although there was way too much bibble-babble for my taste, it was OK.  After a couple of rounds of that, they moved on to some kind of Japanese monster game that looked like it was based on Pokemon or something.  I drew the line there.  And Russ had a headache and had already withdrawn to the living room to watch TV.  Although it looked like some kind of action movie, it was the lesser of two evils.  Plus the comfy chairs were in the living room, and I had sat on a hard kitchen chair about as long as I could stand. 

After some discussion, Russ turned it over to some back episodes of Downton Abbey they had saved on the DVR.  I've been hearing about this show for a month or so, and was anxious to see it.  Unfortunately, as the gaming had gone on, so had the drinking.  I was a little buzzed, but Jake was drunk; and the more he drinks, the louder he gets.  He is also very repetitive.  Brantley was wasted, Bill was tipsy, and Logan and Billy got into it over a game.  They went back to have a 'discussion' in the bedroom, but in general things had gotten so loud at that point that I really couldn't hear the television for a lot of the program. 

Since I was tired anyway, I just said my goodnights and when on home.  We made plans to go to the flea market in the morning, so that will be fun :)

No comments: