Thursday, January 10, 2013

A post in which I am not very proud of myself

Well I went back to work today.  I felt crappy, but I went anyway.  I did what had to be done, and basically just waited for the day to be over. 

My throat got more and more sore through the course of the day, and by the end of the day I had decided to get some throat spray on the way home.  I had already begged off the Thursday night dinner this week - all I wanted to do was go home.  But of course there were things I had to do first.

I was hungry.  I had eaten my healthy lunch, and there was quiche in the fridge at home, but I didn't want that.  What I wanted was chicken wings.  I very seldom indulge, but I had been thinking I might do a celebratory meal of them for the one year of my release from treatment anyway.  Plus I felt bad, and just wanted them.  So I stopped in a Buffalo Wild Wings Grill on the way home and had wings.  It usually makes me feel like a hypocrite when I eat them, but I was so beat down today I didn't have the energy for guilt. 

Afterwards I went by the CVS for throat spray.  Since everyone in the world is sick, they were sold out of the cheap kind in any flavor but menthol (aka nasty old medicine flavor), but since I wasn't going to pay the premium for Chloraseptic, I sucked it up and bought the yucky kind.  Why do they only make such huge bottles?  Has anyone ever used a whole one?  I know I never do before they go out of date, so I paid $6 for a huge bottle, most of which will be thrown away. 

While I was there, I also looked for that Cold-EEZE stuff they've been advertising everywhere, but there was none to be found.  They did have Zicam, but it was pretty expensive for zinc spray (which I now find doesn't even have zinc in it any more). I decided that was too much money to pay for something I wasn't sure worked.

I went by the grocery store for a banana (which I need for lunch tomorrow) and then home to get ready for bed.  Since the towel rack in the bathroom was on my nerves (it's been bare for two days) I fished my fancy-schmancy new hand towels out of the dryer and put them up before I went to bed.  That's the only extraneous thing I did. 

I sent goodnight texts to Andy and Chuck, and turned in.  One more work day and then I can convalesce in peace for a couple of days. 

No comments: