Sunday, November 1, 2009

A post in which things just seem to be working

Well I stayed the night, OK? Maybe it wasn’t advisable, but it felt right, and by 3am or so I just plain didn’t feel like leaving.

November first has always been a "time out of time" day for me. I used to take it off work every year to allow me to go out and party for Halloween. For a while, I spent every November the first with my friend Jeff, before he died. I really miss Jeff. It seemed strangely right for today to feel, again, like a "time out of time" day. I put aside the things that needed doing and just lived life for a while. It felt good.

Jason and I woke up at roughly the same time, and greeted the day in a suitably celebratory fashion - for a couple of hours actually. We eventually both had to have food. I wanted to go to the new brunch they’re doing at The Peppermill, but they weren’t answering the phone. We finally just got in the car and headed out. We ended up in Perkins, basically because we were both starving and the line didn’t look too bad. Trying to go out for Sunday breakfast in this town is practically a contact sport. But we didn’t wait too long.

After breakfast, we just went downtown and walked around for a while, talking and talking. It was like we couldn’t say enough to each other fast enough, and kept finding things in common. I just really enjoyed hanging out with him. We went down to the foot bridge and then back up Main Street, talking all the way.

Russ had asked me last night “Well, what’s wrong with him?” It’s sad, but after a certain age you just start wondering what’s wrong with a guy when you meet him. Jason seems frankly too good to be true. I mean a guy who laughs at my jokes and *gets* them just seems like too much. A guy who on top of that (apparently) finds me wildly physically attractive just seems unreal. I found out today what’s wrong with Jason (I had already told him what’s wrong with me last night). He has a job offer in Rock Hill (not too bad, but discouraging) and one in Raleigh (far enough away to make a relationship vastly complicated). He may be taking one of those offers. And of course on the power of a 24-hour courtship I can’t be telling him what to do. So I’ve just decided to scrupulously avoid the subject and see what happens. I guess that’s all I really can do.

It was a bit chilly, and I had left my vest at R&B’s last night. Plus I needed to go by the house. I was really wrestling with myself about taking him over, because the place looks pretty rough right now, but eventually practicality won out. I took him in anyway. We relaxed for a bit, and both decided we could use a nap, so we just took one. It felt completely natural for him to be there with me.

When we woke up we visited for a while, but we both had lots of stuff we were supposed to do today. I took him back to his place; Rodney came by for a little visit. So I left them to catch up and headed to get some supper and go to the store. I had no lunches made for this week or anything.

I called Billy, but he’s having back problems again. He's apparently paying for last night’s revelry. Fortunately I had a book in the car, and just stopped off at Ni Hao for some Chinese buffet. It really hit the spot, but as soon as I ate, it was like all the tiredness from the last four days or so caught up with me all at once. I was really glad I hadn’t called Miss Kat and dana about coming over tonight. There was just no way.

There was also no way I was going to the store. It was all I could do to stay awake long enough to get home, and do the few things I absolutely had to do so I could go to bed. I was asleep almost before my head hit the pillow.

No comments: