Saturday, November 21, 2009

A post in which I have a surprisingly good glass day**

It was pretty weather this morning. I felt pretty good, and decided I could afford a quick nip over to the flea market. I wasn't really expecting to find anything. I wanted some tomatoes to make sandwiches with basil mayonnaise.

But while I was walking around, I went over to look at a section of tables I don't ordinarily make it a point of seeing. There was an Oyster and Pearl divided relish. I already have one, and it isn't a rare piece, but the woman only wanted $3 for it, so I picked it up.

Oyster & Pearl 2-part relish dish in pink, by Anchor Hocking, circa 1938-1940

That was kind of an unexpected bonus kind of thing and I was just walking around enjoying myself when I saw another table of glass, dishes, etc. Turns out the woman had several things she was selling. She had some stuff that looked like a pattern called Homespun that I have never cared for. What caught my eye though, was a pink Basket Weave vase. You see the clear ones all the time, but I seldom see a pink. This one had no chips either. Unfortunately, it did have some mineral damage - a bit of sickness around the lip. But it wasn't bad, and the woman went down to $4 on it. I walked around a bit, but eventually decided I had to have it.

Hocking Basket Weave vase in pink, Depression Era

I picked up several things on her table. I got part of Amanda's Christmas. As she was packing that stuff up, a little flared-lip tumbler or vase caught my eye. I wasn't sure what it was, but it was cute, and since she only wanted a dollar for it I got it. I also picked up a grimy Waterford sugar bowl lid. You just never see lids for sale, and fresh off the inventory last night I knew I had a sugar bowl to go with it. So yay me.

Homespun, or "Fine Rib" 4" 9oz flared-lip tumbler in pink by Jeannette Glass, circa 1939-1949

Flush with success, I finished up the flea market, remembering why I had originally told myself to go. I got Billy's Christmas present. I think he'll be very surprised. I got some apples too, but couldn't find any tomatoes I liked. I really wanted to go on to Duncan or Anderson, but decided that would be pushing it. I went on home to get in the warm.

I had planned to go over to see a buddy today, but he had to work. I went ahead and got cleaned up, and eventually heard from him. I spent the afternoon over there, visiting, chilling out, and just relaxing. His lover got home after a while, and I spent a nice evening with them. So they offer me a drink, and bring it out in a pink Diamond Point glass! I've never even seen any pink! Turns out Randy got them from his mother, who bought them new, and he has 12 of them. I was so excited I had to call Justin to tell him about it. You just never know where vintage glass is going to turn up.

Time just got away from me. By the time I left it was almost 9pm. I'd had no dinner and was ravenous. I stopped at Publix for sushi and cake, which I polished off with the rest of last night's pizza when I got home. I then went to bed. Another 10,000 calorie day achieved. Yeah so much for watching my weight.

No comments: