Thursday, November 5, 2009

A post in which I feel squiffy

I woke up and headed for home to get ready for work immediately, but I didn’t feel at my best. I felt kind of drug out, and my throat is a little sore. Not bad, just…

Squiffy.

It shouldn’t be a surprise. Half the department has been out sick, or worse, have dragged their pestilence-ridden near-corpses in to the office to continue spreading the yuck. It would also figure that it would be the worst possible time for me to get sick. I have the paperwork to finish on the re-financing, no sick time, a new relationship starting; plus I have a full week of baking scheduled next week, culminating in the Fall Camp-out for LOCK! So yeah, there pretty much isn’t a worse time I could get sick. Grrrrr.

The last straw was that Pam, the girl who sits next to me now, came dragging her plague self into the office today, wheezing and hacking like the cat crawling out of the rain barrel in that one Pepe le Pew cartoon where she chases him (Scent-imental Reasons, if you're a stickler). In other words, she looked like road-kill. When she apologized for sneezing and coughing everywhere, I’m afraid I was kind of a dick to her. But at least I didn’t yell “Go the FUCK home!” because that was really, really loud in my head. I still felt bad later about what I said.

Little Boots had calmed down today. He has an unfortunate propensity to take out his bad moods on his employees; but he recognizes when he has done it, and is usually a bit sheepish the next day. That was the case today. You just have to learn not to take it personally.

I got through the day, and fortunately didn’t have a lot to do at home tonight. I was going to do a load of towels, eat leftover pizza, and go to bed. But Miss Kat and dana called and wanted to come by, and I had them on my mind anyway so I wasn’t going to say no. They were on their way out to buy a new stove, so they only came by for an hour or so. It was really good to see them. They had been out of town for the weekend in Savannah and apparently had a large time. They were most enthusiastic, and I was really glad they got to go have some couple time. They get so little of it.

After they left, I did a quick triage on the house, put my towels in the drier, brushed my teeth, and went to bed. I was really beat. I sure hope I can throw this off.

1 comment:

JLo said...

I'm down with the flu right now, Steve. So... it's out there. Beware...