Monday, November 16, 2009

A post in which I have a busy day off*

I had hoped to sleep in late today, but was up at 7am. I just got up. I had a ton of stuff to do today. I messed around online while I started working on mountains of laundry. I hadn’t really done anything last week because I was busy cooking and being dumped. I ended up having a buddy come over for a while.

I got my recycling together, did a check for Alan the handyman, and put together a grocery list. Then I went out for the afternoon. After doing the errands I went over to Red Ribbon Resale for a rummage, but as the last couple of times I have been over there, they had nothing I wanted. They did have a really cool retro sofa, but I didn't need that. I then went down to the friendly antique man off exit 39. I wanted to have a rummage, and I wanted to get Justin’s Christmas present. I’ve had a hard time finding what I want on line. They didn’t have what I wanted there either, but the women working today were so nice (as indeed, everyone at Antiques Plus is) that I ended up staying and talking to them for a while. When I mentioned that I had to come in and visit my bowl, they asked me which one I meant. They have a gorgeous Princess “hat bowl” in great condition, but its $55(!). I’ve been trying to talk myself into buying it, but I haven’t been able to justify it. When we went and looked at it, they told me that not only was everything in the store 20% off, but that they were having a special show next weekend in the shop, and they were sure it would be gone after that. Under that combined inducement, I just couldn’t say no.



Princess 9" deep round "hat" bowl in green by Anchor Hocking, circa 1931-1935

I shelled out. It really is a beautiful piece. But that doesn’t help much with my Christmas shopping now does it? I put my name on a ‘wish list’ in case what I want for Justin comes in, but I’m not holding my breath.

I headed up to Southern Estates after that. They actually did have the perfect thing for Justin, and something that I wasn’t comfortable buying online. I also found something else for myself that I just decided I had to have. Hmmm. Christmas shopping this way could get expensive. Unfortunately, as happy as I am with Justin’s present, it’s going to be tough to buy for Amanda. She’s collecting Jadeite. Ordinarily that isn’t a huge problem to find, but they told me at Antiques Plus today that a Japanese couple came through last weekend and bought every piece they had. There was one sad, chipped up, overpriced mixing bowl left, but that was it. There was a notable dearth of jadeite at Southern Estates too. That’s a toughie because it has been heavily re-produced, and I don’t know enough about it to buy online with confidence. I may have to enlist Justin’s help.

By the time I got out of Southern Estates the antique places were closing. I ran through the grocery store and called Jason on the way home. We arranged to go to dinner at Liberty Tap Room tonight since I had gotten the coupons the manager was sending in the mail today. We had a lovely meal with fantastic service; even though I hadn’t thought to call ahead the way I was supposed to before I came in.

During and after dinner, we talked about the situation between us. He doesn’t want to go, but feels that he doesn’t have a choice, which I understand. But he seems to kind of want to have it both ways. He says that he doesn’t want this to be the end of us, but long distance doesn’t work - especially for me. He has taken some kind of part-time color guard thing here though, so he’ll be in town from time to time. Of course I told him we could see each other when he’s here, and I could go up to visit him. By the time we got home and talked for a while, it was time to hit the hay. Work tomorrow. And after being off for a day too. I’m glad next week is Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

JLo said...

I can't tell you how crazy is makes me to read "Justin's present" over and over again and have no idea what it is.

Let's hang out on Friday after work. I'll come there. How does that sound?

thefabulousmrthing said...

Mua ha ha ha...

I actually thought that it might.