Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A post in which it is a rough day at work

Whew! My boss was in Caligula mode today. After facing the firing squad once and receiving a spate of ridiculous demands, I just got to work and stayed out of his way. It pissed me off at first, but then I thought ‘Well, my time is his to waste. He is paying for it.’ So I went on painting the roses red and just let it roll off my back. I have now dubbed him Little Boots.

After work I had planned to see Jason tonight, and I dashed by the house and then headed over there. I didn’t want to just assume that I would be staying the night, so I threw a few things in a “just in case” bag and left it in the car.

He just ordered some pizza and we talked about our days, other things, and watched a DVD for a bit. He used to be heavy into national competition for color guard, which is apparently just as competitive (and just as cut-throat) as competition cheer-leading. I was surprised when I saw the video. We had color guard in high school, but it was mainly just some marching, flag twirling, and ‘gun’ throwing. The competition teams incorporated those basic elements, but it was more like modern dance than marching around. It’s formatted and judged enough like a drag pageant that I could get into it. He also knew the back stories on the teams we were watching, which of course made it more interesting. He showed me footage of a competition team he had coached and choreographed tonight. It was a little nervous because I just loathe to watch something like that and having to think up something nice to say, but they were lovely. He is obviously very talented.

We’re getting along very well, and I know I keep saying this, but it just feels natural for us to be together. It’s like there was just this place in my life that was waiting for him, and he has just finally stepped into it. We also found out tonight that we both have the same favorite pizza – mushroom and black olive. I actually like mushroom and onion better now, but M and BO was my actual favorite for years and years. I sound disconcertingly like one of those "e-harmony" ads on TV, only there was no homophobic pay service involved.

So it seems like we’re enough alike to get along, and enough different to be interesting to each other and have interests outside the relationship, which help to keep things fresh. I’m pretty optimistic, without having that “tightrope” feeling I had with M. It just feels like I’ve come into something good, for which I have been waiting for a long time.

I ended up getting the “just in case” bag out of the car. It was a very good evening.

No comments: