Friday, November 6, 2009

A post in which I have dinner with Dick and Eve

Well Pam didn't come in to work today. I hope it was because of how she felt rather than what I said, but I'm sure she felt bad enough she should have been home yesterday anyway.

My lunch hour was taken up again today. I met the man that Terry recommended at the house for a quote. I had already figured I could do replacements with my handyman guy doing the work for about $3,000.00, but I wanted to see what a first class job would cost. The guy from Window World was very nice (although he ran over my lantana, but it seems everyone does - I'm getting tire spikes or something to put around it), and brought in the briefcase and did the whole presentation for me. It turns out that to get the best made foam core insulated argon-gas-between-the-panes windows, plus the fancy greenhouse window I wanted for the kitchen, it would cost $5,100.00. But these windows qualify for the energy tax credit, and the other ones I looked at did not. So because they qualified, I'll get $1,500.00 back on my taxes for getting them. So it turns out the best windows (including the fancy kitchen window I want) will end up costing me about $500 more than the cheapest plain windows. Needless to say I signed on the dotted.

The only downside is that they don't have any stock windows - they're all made to order. So it will be about 8 weeks before they come in, which means they'll be installing right at Christmas. Ugh. It's not that as much as the wait that's killing me. But I've waited this long. I guess I can wait another two months. It'll be a good excuse not to put up the tree this year anyway.

Eve and I are now buds, apparently. It would be OK, but she has really bad timing for calls. She called me at work today to tell me about cups she wants for Ava for Christmas, to go with the kitchen/dish set they got her. She ended up inviting me to dinner with her and Dad tonight. Ordinarily my Friday nights are prime time, and sacred, but I decided to go anyway.

I had time on the way to stop in the Goodwill for an unproductive rummage, and then at the Dollar Store for a set of glasses for Jason. He had admired mine and said he wanted some like them, so I picked up a set for him. I love getting people little surprises.

Dad and Eve showed up at dinner with some guy that Dad knew, and that I was supposed to know also apparently. Of course I wouldn't have recognized him with a shotgun to my head, but he was nice and I really liked his wife. They were fun. Dick and Eve have apparently been eating at the dreaded Hibachi Grill Buffet (full body shudder), but I talked them into going to Ni Hao instead. Eve was unhappy because it took so long to get her Mongolian Barbecue to her. They ate though. They didn't say anything about it being better, but come on. Dad put so much soy sauce on his food I can't see how he could taste it anyway; and I'm sure he didn't need all that extra sodium, but I don't see the point of fussing at him about his diet any more. I think he's just given up. I thought about it as well when he brought back a bowl of cocktail sauce that he had added so much extra wasabi to that it was green. Of course wasabi is just a kind of horseradish, and in the US it actually is horseradish, just dyed green (the price of actual wasabi being quite prohibitive, especially for an all-you-can-eat buffet). But of course horseradish is bad bad for people with heart problems. Conversation was a little stilted at first, but it was OK. They were nice people. I did snatch a moment to tell Eve about Jason when everyone was at the bar.

We were supposed to see each other tonight after his match (he has a tournament this weekend). He won his game tonight though (against a homophobic straight guy who was apparently MOST unhappy to lose to a homosexual in front of his friends, and exercised markedly poor sportsmanship about it), and his match time for tomorrow is at 8am, so he stayed at home. I couldn't blame him, and wasn't upset, although he was obsequiously apologetic. Lord knows he's going to have to put up with me cooking all week this coming week.

I had been through all my recipes at work and made up a grocery list, so I went ahead and did all the shopping on the way home. I didn't really feel like it, but I knew if I did it tomorrow I would wait until I was up and showered and all and that would eat up half the day. Half the work of the cooking is usually running back and forth to the store for things I forget or run out of, but I'm pretty well organized this time. I'm the most together at this point than I have been for any camp out. I got in, unloaded my groceries, and went on to bed. I have a weekend in the kitchen planned, and still feeling sporadically squiffy. I'm going to need my rest.

No comments: