Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A post in which I tend to the house

I was up way too late last night. It was fun, but I was up too late. I woke up early this morning because Jason had to leave for work, and then just went on and had coffee after I saw him off. But I felt kinda drug out and gritty. I then changed the sheets, which were past the sell-by date.

Work wasn’t as bad today. It’s still month-end, but I have it under control now. I was in a really crabby mood today; I guess form lack of sleep. But I got through it.

Tonight was the date night that Jason and I had set up on Sunday, but he had forgotten he had a tennis game tonight. He is a very serious tennis player and apparently has a tournament coming up. But that was fine. I was so tired; I just wanted to go home and collapse. It was nice to feel like he wouldn’t see me all crabby right away.

Since I was in a bad mood anyway, I stopped to look at some cars on the way home. I’d really like to have a hybrid, particularly after the engine light went off last week on the Bomber. It’s a cute little car, but I’ll never get 140k out of it the way I did with my last truck. I have two main problems with hybrids, even though my bleeding-heart liberal conscience is telling me that’s what I really should be driving:

  1. They don’t come in a straight drive. I really love my stick. I’ve been driving with one for 24 years now. I would miss it if I gave it up. And I really hate all those ‘shiftable’ automatics. I don’t trust them a lick. The concept just screams of some kind of dildonic committee decision.
  2. They’re ugly, by and large. The best one, in terms of fuel economy, is of course the Prius. Which looks like a big egg or something. The salesman tonight told me it is ‘tear-drop’ shaped. Still looks like a huge egg from some constipated transformer to me. I keep waiting for it to hatch and have the real car come out. Then there is the Camry hybrid, which looks pretty good, but gas mileage isn’t really that great. There is the Honda Civic hybrid, which is a fine car I’m sure, but is about as exciting as watching paint dry. The local dealership had one on the lot. An ’09. And plain as a mud fence.
Honda does have a new model out for this year though, the Insight. It’s pretty Prius-esque, but not quite as ugly. The one I saw on the lot tonight was sharp. It was in my color too, blue with a tan interior. I would never buy a first-year model from any company except Honda. But no one came and talked to me about it, and I wasn’t really in the mood to be pestered by a salesman. There is no bargaining on these cars. You just buy one if you find the one you like, and they consent to sell it to you. What I’d really like is a hybrid Accord, which of course they don’t make. Toyota, by the way, has a new color out for the 2010 Camry. It’s a metallic mossy green, and it’s fucking yummy. But they don’t offer it in the ‘lesser’ vehicles. Plus I hate Toyota of Greenville with the white-hot heat of a thousand suns.

So after that gratuitous waste of time, I went on home to eat. I had dibs and dabs out of the fridge, and started in on the house. I was tired, but tangling with the car salesman had kind of given me a second wind, which I decided to put to good use. I’ve been horrified that Jason saw the house for the first time looking so awful. I got out the dust mop, vacuum, and duster and made stuff happen. When I got done it wasn’t clean exactly, but it looked more like my house.

While I was cleaning I turned on the Kathy Griffin marathon on Lifetime. She is funny, if a bit on the light side topically. At the end of it all I climbed gratefully into bed, planning to be lulled to sleep by the telly. And then they played a &^%$#@!(*&!! CHRISTMAS AD!! Ugh, Oh God, not ALREADY! I just clicked off the cable and put a movie in.

No comments: