Thursday, November 26, 2009

A post in which I wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving

I knocked myself out last night, so I slept. I really needed that. It was a nice relaxed morning. Mom made a huge breakfast for Rod and I, and we watched the Macy's Day Parade while Mom got ready to go.

Lisa was fixing the meal today, and I was a bit skeptical. Lisa can cook, but she has problems with time and deadlines. She isn't passionate about cooking like Mom and I are. I didn't figure we would eat lunch until 2:30 -4. But I was very wrong. She had gotten up at 7am to put the turkey in, and baked a 22lb bird! The entire meal was excellent, and we ate pretty much on time. I do usually bend the rules a bit at Thanksgiving at least enough to eat some gravy, because Mom makes it from scratch with homemade stock. Lisa's turkey looked and smelled so good, I had a small piece of it too. It was perfect.

My brother-in-law Carl was on his best and most charming behavior today, and although Ava was a bit shy when I first got there, once she figured out who I was again we played and played, and had a large time. Sadly, Cole wasn't feeling well. He's been sick for a week with strep throat. I was glad I'm on antibiotics already. He came out and ate, but it was clear he wasn't feeling like himself.

We ate a huge meal, and basically just laid around like beached whales for a while, parked in front of the telly because we couldn't move. After a while we had dessert, where I managed to break the whipped cream can. Carl figured out how to get it out though, and I fed Ava a bowl of it, one tiny spoonful at a time, with much running around between spoons. She loves whipped cream.

We sat around and watched Ava play, watched a bit of telly, and just basically spent some family time. It was a very nice and relaxing day, and everything went well.

Ava wearing my shoes.

Ava and her best friend Pup-pup

Ava and Pup-pup, close-up

Ava singing. She's shy about performing, so she sings with a blanket on her head.

No comments: