Sunday, November 22, 2009

A post in which I am bamboozled a bit, but step up anyway - eventually

I woke up after 10 solid hours of sleep to a nasty, dreary day. It wasn’t quite raining, but it started to sprinkle as I rode over to the flea market. There was no one there. Within an hour, the miserable pissing cold drizzle we’ve been living with for weeks had re-asserted.

James had called me yesterday to invite me to lunch. I had called and talked to Justin about it last night and told him I would come today. Luncheon was to be at J&J’s new house. Since I didn’t know the way I called James to get the zip code to put in the GPS. “Oh,” James said, “You can just come on to the apartment. The truck should be here in just a few minutes.” What? I had been invited to luncheon, but it seems there was more to the offer than met the eye.

There are few things I hate worse than moving. On the one hand, I felt kind of horn-swaggled. On the other hand, I love Jeff and James, and they knew I didn’t have any other plans today because I had agreed to come to lunch. There was nothing to do but suck it up and go. But I wasn’t exactly breaking my neck to get there.

I went by Miss Kat and dana’s to pick up some stuff dana had borrowed, and kicked back with them for a bit, but I knew I was running late. It was hard to go. It was chill and drizzly yucky outside, and I have been sick for two weeks. About the last thing I wanted to do was go out in it, but duty called.

As soon as I got in the car and headed that way, James called to see where I was, and to tell me that lunch would be at Justin's apartment. I was glad I was at least on the way. I got there about 2:30. Thank goodness they hadn’t waited lunch on me. Justin had thoughtfully made me a plate, and I sat and ate while they caught me up on the day’s events. After a blessed cup of coffee, some blackberry cobbler, and a cigarette, it was time to hit it. They had been working earlier and had packed up most of the stuff already, but I helped Jeff clean out the last of the kitchen while the others carried boxes out. I had put my foot down about being in and out of the rain, but said I would help inside.

We went over to the new house and began to unload. I knew that they had been over there working ever since they closed, but I was surprised by the change. The outside of the place still looks a bit rough, but the inside is coming right along – and they haven’t even had the house for a week yet!

I started off scrubbing out cabinets so the kitchen could be unpacked, but since I had helped pack the frozen food in the cooler I knew it had to be unloaded. I opened the fridge, which was left with the house. I’ve seen worse, but it was in need of some scrubbing. I spent the rest of the afternoon taking the fridge apart, scrubbing out the crack-ho detritus and putting it back together. When I got done (finally) Jeff had just gotten back with the fridge food, and I was able to load it all up.

We all relaxed for a bit and ordered some pizza. We had dinner in the new house with joy and laughter, tired from work, but in the midst of a new beginning. I wish Jeff and James every happiness in their new home.

No comments: