Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Had an amazingly productive day at work today. I am all caught up on calls, and am pretty much ready for year end. And good for me!

Did a bit of Christmas shopping on the way home last night. It's time to start knocking it out. I was able to get 5 gifts out of the way - a good chunk of the 24 on my list this year. I already had a few, and some I will order on-line. I'm kind of phoning it in this year. Mom is coming down the weekend of the 7th, so I already told her I'm not putting up the tree. She was upset, but accepted that. I just don't feel like doing it, so I'm not doing it. Being sick over Thanksgiving took away my bonus cleaning time, and I still haven't deep-cleaned the living room. Trying to fit all that in with December looming is just too much.

Miss Kat called me last night to check on me. She was concerned that I haven't been feeling well. It was so sweet of her to be concerned. I'm going over there tomorrow night, and taking the rest of the pumpkin bars from Thanksgiving. They did turn out really good, but I don't need to eat all of the ones left. I sent a bunch home with Rhonda and Tony, since they have three eating.
Other than that, quietness. Family Guy has 4 episodes on Tuesday night, so watched that. Loaded up a plate to take to work tomorrow, am seeing light at the end of the tunnel on the Thanksgiving food finally!

I got a message last night on Bear411 from a really cute, smart guy. Of course he lives in Florida. But he told me he's been reading my blog, and it's been boring as hell lately! Figures.
So I'll put a little rant in today - this ones overdue:

WAYS NOT TO DRIVE PEOPLE INSANE WITH YOUR CHILDREN IN PUBLIC

1) Public shopping malls, flea markets, grocery stores, and expressways are NOT the places to teach Junior to walk. As adorable as those first steps are, there are people in public with things to do and places to go. Please reserve walking practice for when you are at home.


2) A stroller is a device that enables you to take Junior with you when he is too big to carry, and still too young to walk well (see above). I unnderstand that since your hands are busy with the stroller, you may have to put things like your purse, etc in the stroller. This is NOT LICENSE however, to have a stroller as large as a Hummer and more unwieldy than a bloated menstrual hippopotamus. If you feel you CANNOT survive without a stroller that must be stored in a hanger, refrain from taking it down aisles where you will clearly block all other traffic. You have the choice. Either limit the size of your stroller or the size of the places you take it. Regardless of the size of your stroller, PULL IT TO THE SIDE when you stop to examine whatever. Stopping to talk to another stroller mom going in the opposite direction, and thereby blocking all traffic around the two of you is subject to the legal use of hand grenades and should be avoided at all costs.


3) I understand that many people no longer prepare meals at home. I understand also that children have to eat. The unfortunate consequence of this is a glut of ill-behaved and too-young children flooding in to places they are neither socially prepared, nor chronologically qualified to be. I understand that if I am in a restaurant with day-glow cartoon characters festoon the walls, menus, and/or food items, I am at the mercy of the market. There are also many "family-friendly" restaurants that cater to kids, and I accept that and avoid them. HOWEVER. If you are in a restaurant where any of the following occur: cloth napkins are used, cocktails may be purchased or there is a wine list, candles adorn the tables, or the average price of an entree is $12 or more - you are in an adult venue. This means that any child entering this venue should be able to sit in a chair, eat with a fork, and use an indoor voice. If your child is incapable of sustaining same for a minimum of one hour, this is not someplace you should be with your child. If you are unaware of your child's capabilities to sustain behavior, crying, yelling, running though the restaurant should be stopped within an absolute maximum of two (2) minutes. After that two minute period has passed, the child should be taken out of the restaurant until he or she can behave. After leaving the restaurant three times, you should not return. After the third two-minute disturbance, either inform the manager or your dining companion to pack your meal to go, and leave the restaurant with the child. Go home and eat. The alternative to this is very simple, but seems to be forgotten. HIRE A SITTER. My parents did this routinely when I was a child if they were going to an adult restaurant, and I assure you I have not been psychologically scarred by this experience.

4) When attending a movie, the suggested age rating is for your use, as a parent, in determining whether or not your child should attend. It is therefore inappropriate to have your 2 year old child at the 10pm showing of an R-rated slasher flick. The same rules for disturbance apply as at the restaurant. When the third disturbance starts, your popcorn is already packed to take home.

Following these few simple rules will make public life infinitely more pleasant for all involved, and should significantly reduce both stress and instances of 2nd degree infanticide. Thank you.

No comments: