Tuesday, November 20, 2007

After another quiet day at work, I went to do my Thanksgiving grocery shopping last night. Yes, I know I should have gotten everything way before now. But I have been able to get everything I wanted, except for the Quorn "turkey" roast I wanted. Sigh. You'd think they would make a few extra for THANKSGIVING!! Sadly, I seem once again to be the only one that sees the simple logic in such things. Whole Foods has been out of them for a month, the sale tag on the empty space in the freezer case just fucking mocking me when I go in there. I had one in the freezer, but lost it when the plug got kicked out of the wall on my freezer a month or so ago. So I have no "turkey" for Thanksgiving. Happily, Garner's is supposed to get some in on Friday, so I should be able to get some in time to feed Rhonda, Tony, and Sabrina on Saturday. I live in hope, anyway. It isn't that much of a deal to me, but everyone else expects some kind of turkey at a Thanksgiving meal.

I decided on the rest of the menu: dressing, miso gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, creamed Brussels sprouts, spinach cheddar casserole, corn pudding, cranberry sauce, Parker House rolls, pumpkin cheesecake squares, and egg custard pie. That and a gallon of iced tea, the house wine of the South.

So I have some days in the kitchen to look forward to. I don't know why I have been craving Brussels sprouts, I don't like them, but decided what the heck. I am disappointed about no turkey sandwiches, but they'll taste just as good later, after the Quorn comes back in stock. With all the rich food I'm making, I won't miss it really. Thanksgiving for cooks is like a marathon to a runner. I've been in training all year, and n0w it's time to show my stuff LOL I hope my dressing turns out as good as it did last year. I did it with caramelized onions, mushrooms, celery, apples, and pecans. It was REALLY good.

No comments: