Monday, December 29, 2008

Really intending to rest today**

But I kept getting distracted by guys.

I fooled around a good bit of the day.

But Justin called me about 3pm in a panic. He had gotten all his Christmas presents home (including yet another set of dishes) and couldn't make them all fit in his apartment in a way that pleased him. Justin lives in a one bedroom apartment that is getting distinctly crowded. It is charming, and works for him, but he is rapidly running out of room for even a layered look to be gracefully done.

I took an interrupted nap, cleaned up, and headed for Spartanburg to see if I could help. When I got there, as I suspected, he was just a bit over-wrought. He needed someone to focus him more than anything else, and I proceeded to do that. In his distraction, he had boiled cheese dip out all over the stove, and his stove top doesn't lift up for cleaning. I put him to work re-arranging a set of shelves, and started cleaning up the kitchen - my specialty.

By the time I got done with that, he was more calm, and putting things away. I made helpful suggestions, most of which he shot down, but by doing the opposite of what I suggested, he figured out what it was he wanted to do. Some people are like that.

He managed to get everything back in and arranged, and we were eating tomato soup and sandwiches (his meal of choice for all time now, apparently) when the phone rang. It was James, and after much discussion about smoking privileges he invited us down to his apartment. I met his new boyfriend Jeff, who I like, and who is very sexy.

We laughed and talked and smoked. They were greatly amused at some of the bon mots I was issuing. I was in rare form. I described a woman who I was decorating for, who went on a rogue fabric expedition without me. In the middle of her Waverly Cabbage rose living room we were working on, she covered a sofa with leftover teal diamond fabric with mauve streaks in it (circa 1982). I said it looked like Andy Warhol had taken a dump in the middle of the room. I don't remember the other one, but Justin was writing stuff down.

Eventually he got smoked out and left. The next thing I knew it was 1am. I packed up the car (I have taken on making curtains for James's bedroom for some reason) and made my way home.

No comments: