Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!

I ran all day today. I had so much to do!

I was up at 7, and after having coffee, put in my DVD of A Christmas Story, and started in on Miss Helen's pound cake. While that was in the oven I ironed and wrapped BB's shirts. I also cut up a Claxton Fruit Cake for her (bleah) that she wanted. At least it was easy to arrange. I put it out on a plate and it kind of glued itself to the plate. It was still arranged when I got it to her. She apparently loves that stuff. She and my father are the only people I know who actually eat them, as opposed to using them for doorstops as the rest of us do.

Then I did my morning stuff, made some breakfast, and got myself cleaned up and dressed. I got to the nursing home just in time to interrupt BB's lunch, but she was glad to see me. We talked for a while, and I gave her one of my new pictures for her bulletin board she keeps in her room. She opened her gifts, and seemed happy with them. We talked about family stuff for a while, and then I took off.

I dropped by the house, got the gifts for Miss Kat and dana, wrapped up Miss Helen's pound cake, and headed for their house. I visited with Miss Kat and dana for a while. Miss Kat had gotten these delicious gourmet caramels for Christmas, and I ate like a half pound of them. Russ and Billy said they were coming over, but they ended up not having time. It got to be 4, and we were supposed to be heading for Spartanburg for Rick Shaw's card party at 5.

So I ran by the house again for Russ and Billy's presents and headed to their place. Russ got a big kick out of his present, as I hoped he would, and Billy liked his gift card. He is just so hard to buy for. They got me a GPS system for the car!!! I was pretty much blown away. That was the last thing I was expecting. I told them they spent too much money, but they said they got it on sale. I was still pretty vaclempt.

We went on to Rick's and had a great time. He always gives such a great party. It's the "anti-Christmas" party. No gifts, no RSVP's, no specific time to get there, no fancy dress, and no covered dish to tote. Billy did take a baked Brie that was appreciated but not required. We had punch, and he made homemade soup. He nicely made some veggie soup for me - a mushroom barley that was delicious - and there was an array of desserts that grateful families had given him for Christmas (Rick runs a nice home health care business).

We played cards, with many breaks for talking and smoking on the porch, and generally just had a lovely time as usual. It was great.

Then I came home and dragged myself to bed. It was a really nice Christmas.

No comments: