Monday, December 1, 2008

A most pleasant evening with H - with lox!

After work today, I selfishly decided to go back to Stein Mart. I decided I just had to have a couple more pairs of those lovely bear fleece pants, so I got two more pairs. Brad called after work, and I talked to him all the way home. He is a really nice guy. It is so hard to do the long-distance thing though. I really want someone in my life, not four hours away. I need to do some thinking about that.

I only hung up with Brad long enough to check out at Stein Mart. I can't stand it when people check out in stores talking on the cell phone the whole time. It's like they are too important to acknowledge the salesperson or something. And usually they are talking about something incredibly stupid and imminenently postpone-able. So there is the salesperson, relegated to less importance than a constant stream of inane bibble-babble. It makes me nuts. It's so disrespectful to be so dismissive of another human being to me. A pet peave. But I digress.

I got home and got moving. I knew I had things to do because I'm out the next two nights. I needed to fix some stuff to take for lunches this week. I put a couple more furkey loaves in to bake, because I was out of furkey and there is still a bunch of dressing left to eat. Besides, if I have any left over I can make all kinds of stuff out of it. I prepped my apples (I bought all those Winesaps originally to make baked apples with) and got them in the oven as well. Then I prepped about 5 pounds of broccoli to go in after they came out. I was out of green vegetables for my lunch since I finished up the green bean casserole today. Fortunately, once I got this stuff in the oven, the work was done and I could just let the oven do the work.

H showed up shortly after I finished prepping the broccoli, bearing left-over lox, cream cheese, and crackers he had served as an appetizer at a dinner party the night before. So that really wasn't the same as is buying more stuff for me. Plus, I just adore lox, and have no pride at all where it is concerned. I poured him a glass of wine and soon we were happily munching and talking.

We had a really nice evening of conversation, sharing outrageous church stories and other anecdotes. He is so much fun to tease. He has a good sense of humor and can laugh at himself readily. I switched him over to some furkey, dressing, and mashed potatoes, over which he was gratifyingly complimentary, but the man eats like a songbird. He ate half a baked apple for dessert, but said it was good.

Before we knew it it was after 9, and I needed to turn in. But H wasn't feeling so well, and I was worried about him driving home. After some discussion, I just finally made up the sofa for him while he was still trying to make up his mind what to do, tucked him in, and turned in myself.

2 comments:

Rhen said...

Oh, you two are SO not dating...
;-)

thefabulousmrthing said...

Got it in one - we aren't dating. You're right.