Sunday, December 7, 2008

Lady Beth's fabulous Holiday Soiree/Buffet

My view at dinner.

This was my first Kindred function. Almost everyone there was Kindred. I looked though the scrapbook that Lori did as her Kindred work project. I talked to people about doing the cookbook, and they all seemed to think it was a good idea. I am putting anything extra off until after the first of the year though.

Lady Beth was officiating, putting everyone at ease and making them feel at home while making it look graceful and effortless, of course. lynn was with her this weekend, so they were co-hosting. lynn had sent me a very sweet email when she found out I was invited to pledge the Kindred, and she went out of her way to talk to me tonight, and showed a lot of enthusiasm over my idea for the work project. But everyone knew each other, and we all like each other. Sir Michael was there looking craggy and gorgeous as usual. wilenda was there with him, beautiful as always, with lovely shoes. The LOCK women are just all about beautiful footwear. I LOVE that. Marty and Petal were there, and it was good to see them since they couldn't get to the campouts this year. Petal is kind of a hippie-chick, very much about love and spirituality. She was in an incredibly short skirt, showing off some lovely gams. Marty is just sexy in that all-man kind of way, without being cromagnon about it. He is always nice to me, and is one of those guys so secure about who he is that gay people don't bother him at all. lori was there, and of course she is one of my favorite people in the Whole Wide World. Miss Kat and dana were there too, and I always love to see them. I'm afraid I've been caught up in my own stuff lately, and haven't been as good a friend to Miss Kat as I should have been. She had to have her dog Chase put down last week, and I know she's been upset about it. dana has been out of town too. I really should have been over there. But there's no way I could have been there Tuesday or Wednesday, when it was the worst. She seemed to be OK though. eric was there cooking his heart out too - he did the dinner. It was quite a spread. He was there with a lovely woman whose name escapes me, but she had a pixie cap of dark hair and dancing eyes that promised mischief (which her saucy mouth confirmed), which eric loves. They seemed to be well-matched, and I liked her. Little rhondee was there, and of course I adore her. I've loved Rhonda for so long she really feels more like my little sister than a friend. She was there with Sabrina. I was glad to see here. Sabrina isn't into the LOCK scene, and I feel like she might feel left out at times. I tried to make her feel welcome. It was so funny to watch she and dana interact, shaking hands like two straight guys. I got a big kick out of it.

I rode up with Russ and Billy, and caught them up on the stuff that has been going on with me lately on the way up. They have too many parties next weekend to make it to Donnie's, and Russ was trying to talk me into going to another party with them after I left Donnie's house; but I have the Biltmore thing with the family the Sunday after Donnie's party. There's just no way.

There was lots of conversation - and good conversation. I was reminded of the quote "small people talk about people, regular people talk about events, but smart people talk about ideas". Lady Beth introduced several discussions about ideas, and had an audience who could follow and enrich such discussions.

Gifts were given. Lady Beth presented all of the Kindred members present with incredibly soft and lush pieces of leather. It seems that the trend now is that leather is "earned", or presented as a mark of approval or reward for progress. Lady Beth doesn't agree with the need for a talisman as a symbol of personal growth, but she wanted her people to have "earned" leather from her as a symbol of her regard. Reportedly, there are also 35 ways to use an unformed piece of leather for play, and there was some discussion about getting to that number.

We presented her with a broach. We decided that in presenting it to her, we would all take the broach in our hands and say one word that described Lady Beth to us. There was some quibbling over who got to say "elegant", since that word pretty much always springs to mind when Lady Beth is mentioned. Some women are brash and grating in Versache originals in the back of a limo, but Lady Beth would be every inch the lady in overalls in the middle of a pig pen. It's just her bearing. She is approachable and refreshingly earthy, but always completely classy. Would that more people could pull that off. We finally just agreed that words could be used more than once. I chose "nurturing". Lady Beth has always been so wonderful to me, going out of her way to make me feel welcome and a part of things. She really cares how you are, and wants you to grow. She's helped me to get off the hamster wheel about things that worried me. I adore her, of course, but then so does everyone.

She got off the best zinger of the party too. We were talking about midieval construction, and particularly the elaborate stone carving in churches and monasteries. I said, "Well that just goes to show you what sustained celibacy will do. After about a year, I'd have carved an entire cathedral!" At which point Lady Beth said "Oh, come on, you'd just be doing penance!" It was classic.

I also shared one of my Great Truths - that homosexuals are responsible for the perpetuation of Republican children. Without gay people dressing, hair-dressing, making over, and decorating for their wives, most Republican men couldn't get close enough to their wives to reproduce. Maybe not the best comment to make in a room with people that (had I been a bit more sober) I would have remembered contained some Republicans. Party fowl on my part.

It was the kind of evening that most parties strive to be, but few achieve. A gathering of people who have affection for each other, where we could relax (well except for eric) and just enjoy each other. People similar enough to feel as if we belong together, but different enough to be interesting to each other and still have things to learn and experience together. It was a lovely evening, as it always is when the LOCK people get together.

No comments: