Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A post in which it is a long day, but one that ends very well

I got up and girded my loins this morning. I knew it was going to be a long day. It was.

I decided that with all I had to do today, I just couldn’t wear a suit. Plus I didn’t have time to iron a shirt and all this morning. So I wore a nice pair of pants. I worked all morning, and then headed for the funeral. I got there in time for the service. I didn’t expect to be able to go to graveside, but I at least wanted to speak to Donnie (he had been closeted with the family when I got to the funeral home). Since my boss was off today, I just went ahead and went to graveside.

After that I got lost in Greer for a bit, but made it back to the office where I finished out the day.

At 5:30 I did the Fred Flintstone down the dinosaur’s back and headed for Russ’s. My appointment was on Thursday this week, but since I will be in Atlanta on Thursday he told me would work me in tonight. I ended up being there for an hour and a half. I wouldn’t have minded, but I knew Eve was waiting dinner for me at their house.

Dick and Eve were taking me out to eat tonight, but since I had to have my hair cut I had to put them off. Because I changed the time, Eve decided to cook rather than have dinner out. I was surprised and, I have to admit, and bit disappointed. We were going to El Matador, tonight, one of my favorite restaurants.

I had done Eve a disservice. Dinner was divine. She had really gone all out. We had tilapia with strawberry vinaigrette, asparagus au gratin, a lovely asian-inspired cole slaw with napa cabbage and a sesame dressing, blend of rice pilaf, and rolls with butter. She had gotten a really good strawberry cheese cake for dessert. Everything was absolutely delicious. She had gone to a lot of trouble, and I was really touched.

After dinner we retired to the den with coffee and I opened my gift from them, which will come in very handy on the Atlanta trip! The wrapping paper on the gift even matched the card. They always take me out for my birthday, but I it dawned on me that this was her way of saying thank you to me for trying to work things out in The Great Paul and Cindy Feud. Paul sent her some pictures of Brenden’s first communion this week, and she was very happy about it.

I know that she misses Brenden, and Cindy, more than she will admit. Coincidentally, Paul had called today, and had mentioned that Brenden asked why Dad doesn’t sign the cards he gets any more. Eve sends him a card every week. I told Dad, because I know he has been afraid that Brenden had forgotten about him. He harrumphed and made a big gruff show, but I think deep down it was good for him to know. I hope he’ll sign the cards now. He had just given up before; he didn’t think that Brenden would get the cards. They love that child so much. I hope they are able to see him again. Its worth pretty much any trouble and aggravation on my part if I can help that to happen. Eve was very pointed in thanking me for the things I have tried to do to make the peace. But really the dinner said it all.

In other welcome news of peace, I heard that two friends of mine who had participated in the Hat Party Drama this past spring are on the verge of burying the hatchet and Forgiving All. I was very happy, if somewhat amazed, to hear that. So let’s hear it for lions lying down with lambs. I could use a bit more of that in my life.

It was a very nice evening, and before I knew it it was quarter to ten. I have a full day at work tomorrow, Mother arrives tomorrow night, and the aforementioned wreck is still in evidence in my home. I went home and collapsed.

No comments: