Sunday, September 6, 2009

Another day of birthday glass luck, and another party!

I met everyone at R&B's this morning, and after cinnamon buns and coffee we headed for the Barnyard. I wasn't expecting to find much because they wanted to sleep in so I didn't even get there until 10. But there were two pieces of glass I had been looking at that I thought I had identified, and I was hoping they were still there.

When we walked in, I immediately saw a couple of plates. One I didn't want, but the other was a Princess luncheon plate. It had one chip in it, but the woman only wanted $2.50 for it, so I bought it.

Princess 8 3/8" luncheon plate in green by Anchor Hocking, circa 1931-1935

Walking on a little further, I found the pink jelly server I had looked at previously, and snapped that up for $3. I was very happy. This is the first piece of that pattern I have owned, and my first jelly server as well. It had two small chips on the base, but you won't see them when you're using it, and Justin later found a tooth missing on the top edge, but I didn't notice it, and you really have to look to see it.

Diamond Block "Little Jewel" 4 3/4 open-handed jelly in pink by Imperial Glass, circa 1927 - early 1930's

I did pick up one more piece of glass that I thought was Diamond Quilted, but it turned out not to be what I thought it was. But since I only paid 50 cents for it I wasn't really torn out of the frame about it.

We were at the flea market for a very long time because Joanne and Rob apparently don't go that often, but it was OK. When we finally got out of there, we were all starving and went down the street for lunch at a little country restaurant. The girl that was waiting on us was very nice, but Joanne was just not impressed with her abilities. That was pretty funny. But we all ate, and headed back to the house. Joanne and Russ being immediately dispatched for a sale at Big Lots and Garden Ridge, I headed on home and left Billy and Rob to rest for a while. I took their idea and rested for a while myself when I got home. The problem was I didn't make it home until 3:30, and I was supposed to be in Spartanburg by 5. Since Jeff and James had told me not to hurry, I called them and told them I was going to come at 6, and then got there at 6:30. But I was so tired I just had to sit down for a minute.

They had a whole dinner planned for a birthday celebration. I put the salmon together and they made everything else, even putting the salmon in and taking it out of the oven. We had a very nice meal, and then played Phase10 for a while. I really miss playing cards - it's one of the worst things about being single - not having a card partner. Justin had invited some guy for the weekend, and when he got there they retired, having a long day of antiquing planned for tomorrow. That left Jeff, James, Amanda, and me to our own devices, and with the perfect number of people to play Spades! I adore to play Spades, and so does Amanda; so James put on a pot of coffee and we dealt the cards. I have missed playing so much! I told them truthfully that the card night was the best birthday present they could have given me.

We ended up playing until 4:30 in the morning, but I wouldn't have traded a moment of it. I had a fantastic time.

2 comments:

JLo said...

*humph* "Justin had invited some guy for the weekend."

thefabulousmrthing said...

Well ya did Blanche, ya did invite some guy for the weekend!