Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A post in which I take people to task*

I did have a buddy come by this morning. I had forgotten he was coming, but it was a nice way to start the day :).

Today I was back at work, catching up from being out. Things were pretty much under control since I had cleared my desk completely before I left.

So I’m sitting at my desk, working away. I’m not in panic mode, but I’m busy. In the middle of the afternoon, I get a text from Justin that he is out shopping, and found a really good deal on a pitcher. My first thought was that he didn’t feel like going yesterday, but he’s going to go today, when I have to work, and text me about it? OK, so I thought that was a bit much, but sometimes Justin doesn’t think about that kind of stuff. I just texted back “cool”, and went on. Then I get another text about the store. I couldn’t be noble at this point any longer. I texted back “2 bad u didn’t go yest so I could go 2 :-(”. I didn’t hear back for a couple of hours, and then he texted back that he had been with James and Jeff looking at houses. So I’m like wtf? Yesterday he had told me he was "lazy" and "didn't do anything". Not to mention that "Jeff and James had gone to look at houses" - he had made no mention of going with them previously.

I went on working, but that really started eating at me. It was bad enough that he apparently just didn’t think about me yesterday after we had made plans, and left me sitting there on my day off. For him to text me about antiquing today, and then tell me that he had gone off with Jeff and James yesterday without calling me really got under my skin. I don't expect to be invited every time they do something, but if I've already called him to make plans and then he blows me off to go off with others, without even calling, that upsets me.

On the way home from work, I decided to call him. I told him I had a bone to pick with him, and he said OK. So I told him when we make plans in the future to at least call me and let me know if he was going to do something else. “OK,” he said, in his best school-teacher-dealing-with-and-unreasonable-toddler voice “I’m sorry…” I could hear the condescending mental pat on the head through the phone. “Don’t condescend to me.” I said “Do you even…” I was talking to thin air. That little shit had hung up on me!! There is pretty much nothing that you can do to me that makes me as mad as hanging up on me. Chewing down my rage enough to re-dial, I called back and said “Did you hang up on me??” “Yes,” Justin replied smoothly “I am sitting with my family right now, and can’t have this conversation.” This was news to me. I let him know I was pretty damn unhappy and hung up the phone.

By the time I got to the grocery store, I was ready to spit nails I was so mad. It makes me really, REALLY angry when someone hangs up on me. That’s like that first blood to Bruce Lee in those Kung Fu movies. I thought about texting him when I got to the store, but a) I was too mad and didn’t trust what I would say; b) I try not to act in the heat of the moment like my dad; and c) on the off chance he actually was with his family, I wasn’t going to go off on him right that minute. Either way, I decided it was better for me to wait a bit. I was thinking a lot about the guy from Asheville who is dating the 22-year-old boy. When he described his many frustrations to me, I just kept saying “You are trying to have an adult relationship with a child.” Yeah, I’m feeling that one come back to bite me on the ass.

When I got in from the store, I was feeling more calm. I decided to channel some of that anger into chewing out the manager of Nan Thai in Atlanta, and turned on the computer to look up their phone number. As a reflex, I signed in to check my email, and there was an email from Justin. I couldn’t help thinking that he had gotten home from his parents’ house awfully fast. Plus the fact that he had emailed me so he didn’t have to talk to me on the phone. I flew mad again, instantly, and called to give him a piece of my mind. I found out during the course of this conversation that Amanda had gone with them also, and didn’t go home until later. That really hurt my feelings that they had done all that and not even called me when I had talked to him the day before about doing something. After a plethora of excuses and rationalizations (he didn’t know we really had plans, he hadn’t planned to do anything that day, and apparently it is acceptable for him to blow other people off that he knows and they don’t get angry about it {I was pretty dubious about that one}, etc) he apologized sincerely. When he did that, and meant it, we talked the rest of it through and made up. He offered me the pitcher, but of course the pitcher wasn't what it was about.

That resolved, I decided to work off the rest of my frustration by calling Nan Thai. I got the manager on the phone that came to the table last Friday, and he remembered me. I explained that I had been willing to let the crappy service and mediocre food go, but when Mom got sick and we had to cut our vacation short that was just too much. He made some insincere managerial soothing noises, and said that he would look into it, but that he had to have 24 hours to do an “investigation” and was presently in the middle of the dinner rush. Pity the poor fools that are eating there. I was not happy, but had little choice. I gave him the 24 hours. We’ll see if he calls back. I decided not to post nasty things about them on the internet until I heard what they are going to do about this.

After all that, I was just worn out. I ate dinner, watched some telly, and went to bed.

No comments: