Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A post in which half-assed amends are made

Nan Thai called me back today. The manager said that they would refund the cost of our meal (big whoop, I was going to reverse that charge anyway). He said that was all he could do. I told him I thought that he should at least apologize to my mother. He said he would do that, but I later found out he called and left a message on voice mail saying that he was “sorry for her illness”; in other words, a half-assed CYA insincere apology. But then pretty much everything they have done has been half-assed, from the service to the food to their reaction to the manager’s response to the poor service when I brought it to his attention. $50 seems like poor compensation for major illness and three days of lost vacation. I suppose I shouldn’t have expected any real contrition, and of course he couldn’t actually admit that they made her sick since insurance companies and attorneys now rule the world. Any admission of liability would be unthinkable, no matter what they did.

So when I went home tonight I posted online reviews of the restaurant. I’m trying to decide how many websites I want to sign up to and get junk mail from forever to get the word out. While I was doing that, I noticed that many of the glowing reviews they received are older ones, so apparently this place has been on the decline for a while. I’ll have to remember to watch the dates of the reviews in the future when I choose restaurants.

I chatted on line while I listened to some telly, and played some games. Since I did so much house stuff on Monday, at least I’ve been able to sit down this week and veg when I get home.

I have a long, full day tomorrow. Our attorney is in town from California. He already had me pulling secretarial duty today in preparation for his arrival.

No comments: