Sunday, September 27, 2009

A post in which I do things for my friends

The Cake

Unsurprisingly, I slept about half the day today. But I couldn’t sleep forever. I had stuff to do.

I got up around 11:30 and started working on glazing the cake. Donnie had been at his friend Tammy’s birthday party the day before, but I had forgotten I had to host the Discussion Munch for LOCK today when I told him I would bring the cake over. Fortunately, the glaze went together easily and I had no trouble with my new double boiler. My idea for a substitution went well too, and before I knew it I was done. Cleaning the kitchen took longer than making the glaze. I then sat down for a few minutes, and Donnie called to tell me that 2pm would be fine to deliver. The weather had turned off pretty today, so I had lovely weather for cake delivery.

I showed up over there, and we sat down to cut the cake. I had admitted to Donnie that I was using him as a Guinea Pig because the first two cakes I made from this recipe weren’t right. The first one was all wrong, and the second tasted good, but looked awful. This one turned out pretty, and I have to admit, when I tasted it it was pretty damn good. Nice crust on the outside, good moisture, fine of crumb, and the glaze was good too. This recipe is now ready for the camp out. The only real fault I could find was that I had messed up a place in the glaze. I’ll have to be more careful next time. As it was today I ate the ugly piece. Donnie had me taste and critique a cake of his too while I was there. It was good also.

I wanted to visit with them for a while because I hardly ever go over there. So Donnie and I had a chat on the porch, Mark had me try a bottle of wine he was decanting, and we just hung out and talked until it was time for me to leave for discussion group.

By this time I was ravenous. I hadn’t eaten anything but two pieces of cake since breakfast, and my stomach was ready for some food.

I got to the restaurant where we have the Munch, and there were people there already. I talked to them and hung around outside waiting to greet people. There were supposed to be 20, but only 8 people showed. Miss Kat and dana didn’t make it, but Russ and Billy were there. Things went smoothly. I am not nervous about speaking in front of a group anyway, and in this case I had Russ and Billy there to help out, plus I was more of a facilitator than a presenter. The topic today was “laying down baggage from your vanilla life”. We had good participation. I did get a plate of food too, which I practically licked clean.

After that I went over to Russ and Billy’s to hear about the event they went to, and just basically catch up and visit. It was a very pleasant evening, but I could really feel the drag of last night’s revelry by this point. I didn’t stay late.

When I got home, however, the ballerinas next door were having a Halloween party. I don't know either. But they were having a large time. Unfortunately they were also having a loud time. The music was live, and good, but I was having a hard time getting to sleep. I didn't want to be the neighbor saying "keep it down!" all the time, but their porch is about 15 feet from my bedroom window. But they are nice kids, and they usually aren't noisy. I didn't want to spoil the fun. Eventually I just got up and got my earplugs and went back to bed. I got to sleep after a while.

No comments: