Sunday, April 10, 2011

A post in which I am madly glassing

Well Russ and I made plans last night to go to the flea market. He said we did before, and we may have, but I didn't remember it. I was up so late last night, and had so much to do that I kind of didn't want to go, but I haven't been in so long, and the weather has been so gorgeous, and Russ was singing his siren song, and frankly I just couldn't resist.

What a flea market day! The weather was gorgeous and the vendors were out, and wherever I looked it seemed there was glass. I hadn't really come with great expectations, but found a Royal Lace sugar bowl almost before we got started. I usually don't like that pattern in green, and I am faithfully sworn to STOP buying cream pitchers and sugar bowls, but it was priced at about a quarter what it was worth, and I just couldn't resist. It had been so long since I had bought anything.

Then I found a Queen Mary tumbler for a quarter, and obviously I couldn't leave that. That was followed by the find of the day, a green Princess vegetable bowl. The woman selling it usually has high prices on her stuff, and it's usually pretty beat up to boot; but apparently she was there to sell today, and I couldn't find a chip on this piece. I picked that up at about half price.

I bought a small bubble bowl for my set (I found one yesterday also, coincidentally), and then as we did the last row I found a green Patrician "Spoke" creamer. OK, it was a creamer, and I don't usually care for the pattern. But it's prettier in green - usually you see it in amber, and I don't like amber glass. The guy wanted $5 for it, and at that point there was no way. Eventually, after half walking away (I really didn't need it) he sold it to me for a buck. For that price, I couldn't leave it. It's in perfect condition too. So I was naughty. I really have to stop buying cream and sugar sets.


Patrician "Spoke" in green by Federal Glass Co., circa 1933 to 1937

Royal Lace sugar bowl in green by Hazel-Atlas, circa 1934-1941



Queen Mary 9oz flat tumbler in pink by Anchor Hocking, circa 1936-1949




Princess 9" vegetable bowl in green by Anchor Hocking, circa 1931 - 1935



I got in touch with Sabrina, and agreed on a time to get the chair. We left the flea market, picked up Billy, got the chair, and then stopped for lunch at Pho Noodleville, a haunt of Russ and Billy's. It's OK, they just don't give you very much food. But it was fine for lunch, and I hadn't eaten anything. I was so hungry at that point it was any point in a storm.

After lunch we went back to my place and stashed the chair in the green room. It does look good in there, and it doesn't get on my nerves the way the wing backs did for some reason. It's a nice piece. Either that will become it's home or I'll find someplace for it eventually.

We were off to Spartanburg for dinner tonight, but we were all pretty worn out. Russ and I had been on the go all day, and Billy's back is messed up. After a short, blissful interlude in my new living room, which I am growing to love more and more, it was time to hit the road again. We all got cleaned up and headed for Spartanburg.

Dinner at Jeff and James's house tonight was rather avaunt-guard. We had a beet and apple salad and lemon pepper fish. It was a nice meal. Morgan and Andrew were there, and Amanda. After dinner everyone relaxed, Morgan painting designs on people with a henna kit she had brought. It was a little nippy to be outside, but we were out on the front porch anyway. Lovliness.

No comments: