Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A post in which I am able to help Cole

I had dinner with the rents tonight. We just went to Portofino's, where the food continues to be superlative. We also had a waiter tonight who was so hot I could have thrown him over the table and eaten him on the spot. I tried not to look too much since Dad was there, but sheesh. Yes it is spring, and George has again come out of hibernation with a vengeance. It's enough to make you nostalgic for winter.

After supper I visited with them for a while. Typical Tuesday, and I was glad of it. There's been too much to deal with lately.

On the way home I had a call from Cole. He was working on a project for Spanish class, and his teacher told him he could get extra credit if he made an authentic Spanish dish called "Tortilla de Patatas". He was asking me for pointers. When he started describing it, it just sounded like a frittata to me. I know how to make that, but he insisted it was something different. I thought about it the rest of the way home, and eventually figured that it had the same ingredients and assembly, so the cooking methods would be similar anyway. I was able to call and offer him some tips to make it easier for him. I can't help him with sports, and would despair of trying to help with school work, but this I could help with. It made me feel good.

Cole with his "Tortilla de Patatas", or Frittata, or whatever the hell it is. It looks good though.


I looked it up later. Basically, the Tortilla de Patatas, or Tortilla de Papas, is the Spanish version of a frittata, which is Italian. So I was a little bit right. I've never cared for frittata because to get it done through you have to dry out the eggs. It looks like it turned out OK though.

No comments: