Friday, March 18, 2011

A post in which I see Terry and Stacy

I had looked forward to seeing Terry and Stacy since Terry called me about it. I scampered home after work and ran over the living room and straightened up a bit. Then it was off to the restaurant to meet them.

I got there early, and since I was to meet them at 7:18:30 I went next door to Purple Haze. I went in to kill time more than anything else. I don’t think that I look like a narc or anything, but every time I go in there the staff is so rude that I don’t want to buy anything from them. Today was no exception. The funny part was that Stacy and Terry had gone in there to kill time too and we ran into each other.

We ate at Pita House. I had forgotten how good the food was – they make the best hummus I’ve ever eaten. It’s better than mine, even when I cook my own chick peas. Their falafel must be tasted to be believed - it is scrumptious. But Pita House has now been discovered. It was packed out with noisy white suburban people. It used to be only cool people that went in there, but no more. I hate the bustle of waiting in line and ordering at the counter before you could sit down almost as much as I love the food. Of course since this was a social occasion I wasn’t going to leave. I sucked it up.

After ordering, we snagged one of the last tables and Terry and I started talking. Stacy occasionally weighed in as well, but since he isn’t really a talker it’s hard to get a word in edgewise when the three of us are together. It was good to see Stacy again – it had been years. When I pulled up his Facebook profile I was quite surprised, never having seen him with short hair before, but he’s apparently growing it back out, and had it at a midi length that was quite flattering.

After supper I went over to the deli portion of the place to get some candy and some olives. They have incredible olives that you dip in bulk, and for a place that carries pitted Kalamatas (which are sinfully indulgent), they’re pretty cheap. Unfortunately, the counter they put in the deli section wasn’t manned tonight (really? on Friday night??) so I had to wait through the whole line of customers to pay for my stuff at the counter. Aggravating. They really need to organize.

We went back to the house and settled into the living room for a visit. It was a beautiful cool spring evening, and I had the windows open. Evening lighting is most flattering for the living room, and the house looked pretty good. I was most happy to have them there.

We talked and visited for a while. I had some residual bad Juju from an old buddy that used to come by, and they cleansed that out of the house for me, which I appreciated. Stacy was standing behind me with her hands on my shoulders as part of that, and all I could think about was the new fat packets I had found in my shoulders when I had the flu. His hands were right on them… It took everything I had to push that thought out of my head and concentrate on what was going on. Funny, just when you think your body has found all the possible places to store fat, it betrays you in some new way.

My only regret about the evening was that they pooped out on me about 10:30. I was ready to yak all night. But they left. I cleaned up the glasses and stuff, watched a little telly, and reflected that an early night wouldn’t do me any harm.

No comments: