Saturday, March 12, 2011

A post in which I have supper in Asheville

I had a lot to do today!

I had planned more than I actually got done.

I got up, made breakfast, cleaned up, and loaded all the recycling in the car to haul it off. It had been piled in the kitchen for the last two weeks. Chance drinks a 2-liter bottle of Dr. Pepper every day! So they had built up a bit. But I was glad they recycled while they were in the house.
After finishing that I headed to Russ’s shop for my appointment. I missed last week and I was starting to resemble Lyle Lovett, so it was past time. While Russ was cutting my hair, he informed me that I was to be at their house at 1pm (!!) to go to Asheville. That was far earlier than I expected, but as we all know by now, Russ is a force of nature.

I headed out and had the oil changed in my car. It needed the tires rotated too, so I was there for over an hour. I just had to give up on the nap I wanted today. I went home, got ready, and headed to Russ and Billy’s house. Russ wasn’t home yet (despite that it was 1:30 by the time I could get there), but he was in shortly after and we left for NC.

It was a beautiful day. It’s not quite late enough in the year for the trees to be pretty, but it is always a lovely drive up the mountain.

Russ had never been to Asheville to just hang out before. We went to The Chocolate Lounge (where I had another of those incredible liquid truffles they make), and nosed around in little shops and things. I was kind of hoping I would find some hand-thrown pottery mugs that I just couldn’t live without, but it didn’t happen. There are so many artists in Asheville, and so many pretty things, but I didn’t fall in love today.

Speaking of which.

There’s a bear group in Asheville, and we drove up to horn in on their dinner night. Russ and Billy had really built up the restaurant where the dinner was as having superlative food, and I was thinking it was just possible I might meet someone new.

Well apparently I should have been more specific. I did meet some new people, but there were maybe two guys there under 50. They were together. The food, though quite competent, was frankly nothing I would write home about either. It was fun. The guys were nice, and we had a good time. I had perhaps set my expectations a little too high.

By the time we got back down the mountain, we were all three bushed. Russ and I had a cigarette, and then I went home to bed. No time spent in the company of friends is ever wasted.

No comments: