Saturday, January 1, 2011

A post in which it is a new year

Well, it's a new year.

Actually it got off to a good start. Russ and I got up and went to the flea market. I hit on another find for Amanda (storin up those gifts), and thought I had gotten a deal for myself. I was flying blind (with no field guide) since I packed my clothes for today in my backpack. I ended up buying some well-done reproduction candlesticks. They're pretty anyway. I may sit them out for a while and look at them before I get rid of them.

When we got back, I went home to lay around for a while. But I got ready and headed to Russ and Billy's to go back out. Nothin' wussy 'bout me. There was more partyin' to do!

This evening was Rich's card party. He used to have it on Christmas day, but it's changed since he started spending more time with his family. I missed it last year and was very disappointed. His party is always relaxing and fun. There is usually a very low booger-eater quotient there. Dressing up is forbidden, and alcohol is encouraged. There was an additional inducement this year because we would get to meet Rich's non-boyfriend. Rich says they aren't involved, even though they see each other regularly and share food. Among other things. His business, but I was curious.

The guy turned out to be nice, and we had a very enjoyable evening. Alan, a guy I know who has done an odd job or two for me, was there. He's such a sweet man. There are several things around the house that need doing, but he's all tied up re-decorating Rich's house right now. I was impressed that he had the party, even in the midst of re-doing. So many queens would have been bitchy and talked about it, but Rich usually keeps those kind to a minimum. We had gorgeous homemade soup. He always makes one with no meat in it for me (what a sweetheart) and this year he made two! A really delicious black bean and rice, and a gorgeous tomato-mushroom bisque.

The party dwindled until there were just enough of us for one card table (there are usually more people there) and we had a great time talking, eating, and playing cards, until we finally just dropped all the cards pretense and chatted. It was a lovely, lovely way to start the new year.

No comments: