Saturday, October 27, 2007

Well no entry yesterday, and I really meant to make one. I have so many rants to get on the soap box about, but I guess I'll have plenty of time to get to them all.

Last night my sweet boy Justin came over to watch movies on Turner Classic Movies. They had some great old horror flicks on for the Halloween weekend, and we both love old movies. I threw some baby quiches in the oven, and mixed up a pan of mix brownies. Many things I believe in making from scratch, but the mix brownies are better than my scratch brownies, and I am not too proud to eat them. For some reason my scratch brownies, like most of my scratch cakes, turn out too dry. Any way, we watched this cool flick from the 50's called "A Bucket of Blood". It was pretty funny, but horrificatin' too. It was making fun of the beatnik movement. This guy works in a coffee house, and wants to be an artist, and be "cool" so badly that he begins killing things and covering them with clay to pass them off as sculpture. It was done by the same director that did the original "Little Shop of Horrors" with Jack Nicholson.

Justin isn't my boy in a sexual or proprietary way. He's just a sweet boy that I am kind of mentoring. He's 22 now. Although he has an amazing head on his shoulders, sometimes he seems SO young. But he's polite, and we both like old movies and old dishes, flea markets, thrift stores, and stuff like that, so we have a good bit in common. I think at first he thought he was attracted to me, but has now realized it's more he wants to be like me when he grows up. We watched "Sunset Boulevard" and "All About Eve" together the first time he ever saw them. I'm trying to be the kind of friend to him I would have liked to have had when I was a young'un. All we had then were the bars, as I said Thursday.

Justin is a bit of a foodie, but hasn't eaten a lot of more gourmet-type things. I introduced him to Gorgonzola cheese last night. He was underwhelmed. His exact words were "I don't usually eat cheese with things in it." Which I thought was pretty damn funny. He is such a lil redneck boy sometimes LOL. After he tried it, he told me it tastes like ants, which I found equally amusing. He seems to have gained this knowledge after grabbing a leftover slice of pizza in a darkened kitchen.

I have done bullocks nothing today. Did a bit of shopping this morning, and got a super deal on some old Fire king mixing bowls. I had one white swirl already, which I paid about $10 for, which I thought was a bit high, but not bad. I found the next two smaller sizes today for $5, which is a great deal. Of course if they were the Jadeite Green, the set would be worth about $50-60 (thank you Martha Stewart for bringing Menopause Green back into fashion), but the white ones are nice too, and fashions change.. It's not like I'm going to sell them any way LOL I just love bowls. I'm sure Freud would have something to say about that, but I suppose it's a harmless enough predilection.

After that I went to get some winter squash at the Farmer's Market. It has been so dry here, they are about half the size they should be, but they should be very tasty, because they won't be blown up with water. (The white sweet potatoes I bought the other weekend were exceptionally dry, I noticed. This climate thing is scary to me.) I baked them this afternoon, I'm making soup tomorrow. I have yet to find a good winter squash soup recipe, but this one was in "Food and Wine" magazine, so hopes are high. If it's good, I'll post the recipe here. By the way, my favorite recipe site is:

www.recipezaar.com

It is excellent! And they have ratings posted by people who have actually made the recipes, so it's much easier to know which are the "tried and trues", and know what's wrong with the ones that aren't. I found a phenomenal recipe on there for homemade pastry cream that went into my recipe box immediately, and have scored several other winners there too.

Since I haven't slept well the last couple of days, I took a nap today, and woke up draped in cats like a Salvador Dali painting. They just love it when I'm around the house and supine; it is unusual. I have pre-dawn awakening insomnia, and when I am going through a bad patch, I am pretty drug out. I'm going through this thing right now where I'm waking up every morning at 4am. It's terribly frustrating, knowing I need more sleep and laying at the ceiling waiting for nothing. I usually get sleepy again about time for me to get up. That makes a lovely day at work. But I'm feeling better now that my battery is a bit re-charged.

Well I'm dull today, sorry. I'm off to clean and pulp my squash. Bye!

No comments: