Monday, October 29, 2007

Well it ended up being a pretty nice weekend, during which I got nothing done.

Saturday night I ended up going to a general auction with my friends Miss Kat and Dana, along with Dana's mother Helen. We had a good time. It was cool to see the stuff being auctioned (some of it was truly awful), as well as the people who bought it. It was a real cross-section of people, and I just love to people-watch. Miss Kat picked up an admirer at this thing, a 20-something redneck boy who was just totally smitten. It was pretty funny. Especially since Dana was listening to every word he said, not thrilled, but totally under his radar. He assumed I was with Miss Kat, since I was the guy, and kept telling me how lucky I was to be there with such a pretty lady. I got a big kick out of it. Dana was less thrilled, but put up with it well, since she knew Miss Kat had no interest in the guy. I didn't buy anything, mainly because I got my "free trial" BJ's membership in the mail last week, and I have been buying a bunch of stuff there while it lasts. I'm not paying them $45 to shop there, but they do have some good stuff. The vitamins are particularly good, although they still have E in them, which you aren't supposed to take any more, but at least there is no iron. Anyway, since I had spent a ton of money there, and because Christmas is coming, I wasn't feeling exactly flush. I was sorely tempted by a nice Pannini maker, but decided I really don't need more panninis in my life. But there will be other auctions, and I was there more for the company than anything else.

Because of a debate started over a waffle iron, I found out that Miss Kat doesn't own a waffle iron, but loves waffles, so I invited them over for waffles Sunday morning. Dana ended up not coming, but Miss Kat and I had a nice time. I was up early (thanks insomnia!) and set the table with tablecloth, ironed napkins, etc. I love to entertain, and don't get to that often, but the house is pretty clean right now. I've also been trying to work on doing some spontaneous entertaining to work through my feeling that "everything has to be perfect" before I have people in. That's just not true, and I need to get over it. When I plan ahead I wear myself out to the point that I can't enjoy the fun as much.

Anyway breakfast went well, if late, and we talked for a long time. Miss Kat has been a bit worried about me, I think. It's been a tough Fall. Ordinarily this is my favorite time of year, but it has brought back a lot of bad memories this year. The end of September would have been my 7th anniversary with Michael, had we made it that far. I sent him an anniversary card - nothing weepy or syrupy, just kind of a thinking about you card - and he didn't even drop me an email. I finally called him after a couple of weeks, and he said he got it, but my feelings were hurt. I know we're broken up now, and I know we're moving on, but this was the most significant relationship of my life, and now it seems like I just wasn't that important to him. I guess I'm overreacting, but I was hurt. Last weekend (20,21) was the anniversary of the breakup. I guess this will get easier, but this Fall has been hard. I did feel better after talking to her.

I went to dinner with my friends Billy and Russ last night. They are two of my very best friends, and they have been SO wonderful to me after the breakup. I don't know what I would have done without them. I have spent so many evenings at their house when I didn't want to go home alone. We just went out to Ruby Tuesday's for a salad, and to catch up, since they've been away for a couple of weeks. It was really good to see them, as always.

After dinner, we went for a coffee, and then home to watch a good ole Halloween flick. Justin showed up over there too, and we snuggled up on the couch and watched the movie. It was "The Skeleton Key". It was creepy and voodoo-esque, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Out too late last night. I'm sleepy today. But a nice weekend.

Sunday evenings are the hardest time for me. That's when everyone tends to be home with their families, and there's nothing to do. That is the loneliest time of the week. Usually during the week, by the time I get home I have had a bellyfull of people, and some quality time with the cats doesn't sound so bad. Saturdays, there is usually something going on, if I feel like going. But Sundays are hard.

No comments: