Monday, April 23, 2012

A post in which I visit Justin's new apartment

It was a pretty auspicious day for a Monday.

I had a half a pan of brownies left from yesterday. That fit perfectly, because I wanted to take a small plate of them to the people who work in reception and scheduling at the cancer center; so I dropped those off on my way in to work. My appointment wasn't until 1pm, but Amy in reception always eats candy and stuff out of the machines for breakfast. This wasn't much better, but I figured at least it was something homemade.

I got into the office and started working on write-offs. There aren't that many to do, but I should have probably started them last week.

I left for the doctor's office and ended up being there for two hours - it always takes longer when I go in the middle of the day. But I had good news. My blood (despite the green bean orgies of the last week or so) was thin enough. The doc told me I could stop taking Coumadin! Even though I told him my arm has been hurting some. That starts the 4-week countdown until I can play again. I needs me a whoopin'. The doc wants to schedule me for the follow-up PET scan next week, and then see me with the results when I get back from the beach. He's doing this in part because I've been having some back pain around that one vertebra that had the cancer in it. I am a little worried, but wanted to quantify how concerned I should be with him. He said we would just go ahead and address it and then we would know. I told him about the problems I'm having with my feet, and he suggested that the neuropathy was common, but he believes the pain to be 'mechanical' (i.e. when I walk too much). Now that I'm off Coumadin, I'm going to start taking Aleve again for a while and see if that helps. He also suggested I get some cushion insoles for my shoes.

Still, being taken off the Coumadin is a big step, and I'm stoked about it. Unfortunately I was excited enough that I left without scheduling the PET scan. I called back to the office, but their phone system is pretty awful.

I balanced my checkbook today, and was pretty dismayed. The shopping must end. But I had pretty much gotten what I wanted anyway. I hate to be short going into the beach trip, but I can just put it on the credit card.

I was headed home for a quiet evening when I got a call from Justin. He's all moved in to his new place, and invited me over. I went home and picked up the glass I had for him and went on over. I was going to bring dessert, but I had planned to pick up some fancy-schmancy cupcakes at Iced. Unfortunately they were closed. Justin told me he had been there and was unimpressed with the place anyway. As tight as my jeans were tonight, I really didn't need cupcakes either.

The new place is very pretty. Justin has fantastic taste, if a little old-fashioned for me. I didn't care for the fact that it was a third-floor walk-up, but then you can't have everything. He's only been there for three weeks, but he has already painted the living room and hall, and has plans for the other rooms.

We had coffee on the deck, despite the fact that it was a little chilly, and he made a nice stir-fry for supper. For some reason, he seemed to feel that I was coming over to take inventory and pass judgment, which was the last thing I had thought about. I just wanted to see his new digs. It bothered me that he seemed to be anxious enough about my opinion to be uncomfortable. I gave him the glass, and we talked about picture placements and some lighting problems he's having. I'm afraid I wasn't able to offer much practical help, but I did my best.

I caught him up on Frolicon, and we talked about dating a bit. He's actively dating right now, and good for him. It was a very pleasant evening, and it was great to see him.

I got home, turned on the Golden Girls Monday night marathon, and turned in.

No comments: